This shift starts and finishes in Grenada North and we require a 6 month commitment once a month on a Sunday from 1.45pm to 4pm rain or shine.
The ideal volunteer will be passionate about food rescue and be able to work as part of a team of 2 other members.
Training for the role is provided, and for our insurance you must be over 25 years old, have a full car licence with no demerit points or current speeding tickets. This role can involve a lot of heavy lifting (15-20kgs) between 2 people, so you must be reasonably fit.
Starting at Grenada North you will need to drive your other team member in the chiller truck to Johnsonville School Farmers Market. The third team member will usually meet the truck at the markets.
The stallholders at this market will let the team know what they want to donate. The driver then sorts and places all donated food of good quality into our grey KCA-branded crates, weighs it, and moves it into our chiller truck. After reversing the truck into our depot in Grenada North, the team uses a pallet jack to move the food crates on to a pallet and leaves it in our chiller room for the next shift to make up the orders.
Volunteers need their own transport to get to and from KCA's Grenada North Depot. Applicants must have a full (standard) drivers licence and be over 25 years old to be covered by our vehicle insurance when driving the chiller truck.
A minimum commitment of 6 months is required for this shift. So that is 1 shift every Sunday for 6 months.
Skills and Education Requirements
- Basic level of spoken and written English and able to read English.
- Clear and open communication, able to work unsupervised.
- Physically fit and able to handle carrying loads of 10-20kgs.
- Volunteers must have their own transport to get to and from KCA's Grenada North Depot.
- Applicants must have a full (standard) drivers licence and be over 25 years old to be covered by our vehicle insurance when driving the chiller truck.
- Volunteers must contactable by both email AND mobile phone for rostering and communications from KCA.
- A minimum commitment of 6 months is required for this shift.